Monday, February 10, 2014

Getting By

I haven't written for a while. I guess that means that I've been pretty content. I've learned how to better manage the different types of pain I experience.  My overall widespread nerve pain is mostly kept under control with low dose Lyrica. The nerve pain in my face is helped by Lyrica as well but I always feel a numbness or swelling/tight sendation on the left side of my face. I can usually tolerate it but if it gets too sensitive or radiates down my right shoulder front and back, I usually apply ice or a cold pack. Sometimes I use Biofreeze. When all else fails I take a Percocet.

When my back starts to hurt from over-exersion' the only recourse I have is Percocet. If I know I'm going to have a busy day, I'll try ibuprofen and/or Tylenol to help keep the pain from escalating but it seldom works. I usually have to stop what I'm doing and apply ice or take a Percocet so I can keep on the task at hand.

When my pain escalates and the Percocet isn't enough, I have to remove myself from the situation and take a hot bath or take a Lorazapam and lay down.

I credit the current regimen of medicine I'm on for the consistent relief I've been having. In particular I credit Relistor for relieving my generalized gut pain and Lyrica for my generalized nerve pain. Nortriptyline for keeping my mood stabilized and Lorazapam for helping me sleep.

I'm starting to work with a neuromuscular doctor at Washington university who specializes in small fiber neuropathy. This is a condition that is fairly new but can be positively diagnosed, unlike Fibtomyalgia. With new tests and diagnosis, maybe new treatments will evolve. My hopes are
not high, but I figure that I owe it to myself and others who suffer with chronic pain to lend myself to the research. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment