Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Bump from a Log? Post Concussion Syndrome?

Today I was watching snipets on the sports channel on athletes and how they became disabled due to concussions.  It made me think back to August of 2011 when I got a concussion.  I was cutting the grass around a Bradford Pear tree in our front yard.  It has low branches, which I knew about, but somehow was concentrating so hard on cutting the grass beneath the tree that I hit my head smack against a low lying thick branch.  It knocked me backward almost off of the lawn mower.  I had the mental whereabouts to flip the switch to stop the blades and moved the tractor out from under the branch so I could sit up, but that was one hell of a blow.  I got a good goose egg on my head above my left eye right at the hairline.  I don't believe I got sick to my stomach later, but I was dazed and confused for several days.  I also had a persistent headache for about 4-6 weeks.  I thought I had overcome that, but what if some of my problems with my head and nerves and pain are caused by post concussion syndrome?  That is a good question I think I should ask my neurologist when I see her on November 7th.

If I remember right, I believe my symtoms eventually went away and I was fine by November when we went on a Thanksgiving Week trip to Disney World.  At Disney I did get a vertigo episode in the evening at the hotel on the day that I went on the Dumbo Ride with Jamie.  I attributed it to my Menier's Disease, but I wonder if I just had enough of a jolt in my head on that ride to bring back the concussion symptoms.  Hmmm.  Who knows?

I can't help but think that this could be why I have nerve/head pain on my forehead and directly above my eyes.  It could also explain the Occipital Neuralgia because my head was forcefully jerked backward when I hit the tree. 

Maybe I'm going down a wrong line of thinking but I think I need to include that information with the neurologist along with a request to take a good look at the nerves throughout my head and look for any damage or compression.  If found, identify which, if any, can be surgically corrected.  Because I cannot tollerate any of the anti-seizure meds, surgery is really the only option I want the neurologist to provide for me.  If I can even get half of these symptoms corrected or reduced with surgery, I would feel so much better.  We'll see.

I've decided to start tracking the symptoms going on in my head on a daily basis using outlines of a head front, back, and sides with a comment section under each.  This will allow me to graphically show where the pain is and then explain it in better terms.

In the meantime, I'm continuing with the Pain Management Rehab.  I have a few more weeks.  I think it's a good program and enjoy visiting with people who know what I'm going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment