Sunday, October 7, 2012

Physical Therapy for your Head?

I went to a physical therapist at Barnes last Friday, her name is Jean.  She's the head of the PT portion of the rehab program I'm going to.  I mentioned to her when I was there last Thursday that I really had a stiff neck and it was causing alot of occipital nerve pain.  I also mentioned that the physical therapist that did my initial evaluation said there wasn't anything they could do for me from a physical therapy perspective. I also told her that I was referred to someone outside of the Barnes clinic that was going to charge me $90 hr that I didn't have to spend right now.  Jean said that she could help me and scheduled me for a visit on Friday.

She did some mild stretches with my neck and scalp as well as did some pressure point work.  I let her know when it hurt but overall thought the therapy was helpful.  After a couple of days I can say that it did help with the neck stress, but I'm still having a lot of episodes of pain in my head.  Jean suggested that I start a headache journal on a daily basis so that we can review any progress.  I started one and hope it will help.  It has a diagram with a model of a head in several positions, so it lets me draw exactly where my pain is and then I write notes below to describe it.  I will try to keep this up and take it to the neurologist on November 7th. 

I'm scheduled for a radio frequency procedure on October 16th.  I still haven't found out if the insurance will cover it.  I need to check back with the doctor's office tomorrow.  Glad I have the whereabouts to stay on top of this stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment