Thursday, September 20, 2012

Excrutiating Pain!!!!!

My pain is so intense this evening I'm beside myself.  It originates behind my ears and radiates to the front of my head and temples.  I took prescription strength Naproxin and arthritis strength Tylenol at 7:00pm.  No relief.  I managed to get through until time to put Jamie (my 7 year old daughter) to bed at 9:00pm, then took my standard bedtime meds of Skelaxin, Nortriptaline, and Ambien.  I'm beginning to feel like a junky.  But even an hour after taking those meds I'm still in pain and not asleep yet.  I moved my pain doctor appointment up to tomorrow at 3:30pm.  I am desparate to see him.  I studied the medicine information I got from the Fibromyalgia Network and compared it to what I have been going through.  I found a major connection that is quite scary but I may be onto something.  Here it goes:

Dopamine, or lack of neuropathic transmission of, causes Parkinson's Disease.  When I took Baclefen, I started having jerking movements as though I had Parkinson's.  Baclefen reduces dopamine transmission, so my normal levels of dopamine and/or transmission of dopamine must be very low for one dose of this medication to put me into tremors.  The anti-seasure medications also suppress dopamine and when I tried to take them, I literally felt like I just wanted to die.  Low levels of dopamine cause major depression.  My fear now is that maybe Parkinson's disease is on the horizon for me.  It tends to show itself in people over 50 unless it is genetic. I'll be 52 next month. 

So another drug, Wellbutrin, increases dopamine levels and also increases seratonin and norepinephrine levels which relieve pain and depression.  Cymbalta stops the destruction of seratonin and norepinephrine at the nerve junction so it allows your body to maintain the levels it has.  By adding Wellbutrin, levels of all three neurological chemicals are increased which should help with pain and depression.  I'll go over this tomorrow with the doctor to verify that my understanding is correct.

Right now, I am just praying that I'll be able to fall asleep soon because I don't feel the pain when I'm asleep and I usually feel better in the mornings.  It's pretty bad to just want to wait for bedtime all day long.  I'm trying to stay halfway functional in the evenings for my family but it's getting harder every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment