Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Myofasial Pain Syndrome

I've been doing some research on Myofasial Pain Syndrome and at first was elated that I had finally found a diagnosis that explained a lot of my pain. Then was deflated as I learned that there's not much that can be done about it.  The greatest relief though is knowledge and now I am less afraid of my situation.

In a nut shell, this syndrome has to do with trigger points that send referred pain. They can be anywhere in your body. For instance, I  found one in my cheek muscle that most likely is the cause of my trigeminal neuralgia. These trigger points flare up when irritated and that is why practically any exertion sets them off. There's no medication that is completely effective for relieving their pain, although some take the edge off. In particular, narcotics. I take Percocet.

This syndrome goes hand in hand with fibromyalgia so it's very difficult to distinguish between the two when you are in a heightened state of pain. What I've learned about myself is that I have trigger points in muscles where I have had injuries. This is why it seems as though my injuries never heal. Otherwise I have a very heightened sense of pain so even the most gentle touch is extremely painful. This is part of the fibromyalgia.  The SNRIs, like Cymbalta used to calm the heightened sense of pain but since my head and face got involved with trigger point pain those SNRIs set off the pain in my head and face. I don't really know why.

My doctor put me on Clonazapam but it is weakening my muscles and causing excruciating pain in the morning when I get up so I'm switching back to lorazepam at night to help me sleep. It's the same type of med as the other but doesn't stay in my system as long.  So hopefully that pain will get better.

Chronic pain really leads to a hopeless existence. If it weren't for my children and husband I wouldn't be in this world anymore. I don't advocate suicide at all, but I also don't wish this suffering on anybody, including myself. I read that suicide is prevalent among chronic pain sufferers. I'm just saying I understand.




No comments:

Post a Comment