Friday, June 7, 2013

Herniated Discs in the Cervical Spine

After my gallbladder was removed, I noticed that my arms were falling asleep when I layed on my back.  I'm normally a side-sleeper but while the incisions were healing I had to lay on my back.  I mentioned my arms falling asleep to my chiropractor and he ordered an MRI of my cervical spine.  I have two herniated discs in my neck.  This could be causing a lot of my problems with "right sided" pain, head and neck pain, and back pain.  My chiropractor wants to do a regimin of decompression therapy along with some exercises and traction-like poses with a support device.  He says that the decompression will allow the discs to rejuvinate with fluid and move the herniation back into the center, thus "healing" the situation.  I was very excited until he told me the program would cost $5500. Of which I was promptly approved for credit through Care Credit.  While I want to be "healed", I'm skeptical of the treatment program and cost.  He reassured me that there would be before and after x-rays, etc. and that he guarantees improvement.  I just can't afford another monthly payment.  I already owe way more than I can afford in doctor bills.

I asked my primary care physician about all of this and she suggested that I talk with my pain management doctor about it.  I did, and he recommends an epidural steriod injection into the discs.  At least this is covered by insurance.  I'm not clear on what to expect from this treatment and I know results vary from patient to patient so I'm going to go ahead and give it a try to see if I can get any relief from any of my symptoms.  At least this is a "firm" diagnosis that has specific treatments which may lead to surgery.  I have a feeling that I have other herniated discs along my spine that no doctor has considered.  I guess I'll just start on my neck and see what happens from there. 

Wouldn't it be great if I actually got to feeling well enough to go back to work?  Who knows.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment